|Type of Position:
Description & Details
· Coordinate creation of ENR’s construction economics and market trends content—one of the key reasons readers subscribe to the brand.
· Contribute economics angles to breaking news stories proactively.
· Create, produce and deploy quality, original editorial content in print and on multiple digital platforms for coverage of economic and market trends, and report on trends in construction costs, finance, accounting and estimating (including estimating technology.)
· Produce error-free, stimulating and thought-provoking content for ENR’s range of products. Edit submitted content.
· Manage freelance team producing cost reporting on 60-plus construction materials in 20 cities. Work with ENR’s TM1 (IBM Cognose) data analysis program, programmer and support.
· Update monthly ENR’s 100-year-old construction cost index and building cost index
· Manage the cost reporting budget of about $45,000 per year, for programmers, price reporters and freelancers.
· Expand the network of cost reporters to make sure we have resilience and backup to the two current freelancers. Develop new processes for the reporters to file via spreadsheets whose data can be downloaded directly into the database.
· Continually work with the BNP Media’s IT department to make sure the construction cost database is secure and make sure that our data management and analysis platform is always the best available to meet our needs. Make sure data migration and backups are executed as required.
· Meet editorial deadlines.
· Follow the Code of Ethics and Editorial Guidelines of ENR and BNP; maintain journalistic integrity.
· Collaborate with brand team and appropriate BNP Media staff on the look, feel and user experience with construction economics pages and quarterly cost reports.
· Work with circulation team to enhance its ability to sell subscriptions to ENR based on our cost data.
· Travel to and attend relevant industry events, including trade shows and conferences. Cover live events such as the Dodge Outlook and the Society of Estimators for ENR.com and ENR news section.
· Make presentations, organize and moderate editorial webinars and participate in conference panels as a subject matter expert representing ENR.
· Participate in news calls, feature planning sessions and editor-judged competitions.
· Serve as an ENR liaison to internal departments (i.e., web, social, eNews, etc.); and work cooperatively with BNP staff.
Specific job responsibilities include:
· Produce four cost reports and one construction market forecast print packages per year.
· Produce weekly Construction Economics print and/or web pages.
· Contribute breaking news or trends analysis stories about economic developments
· Plan, assign and execute issue content, secure photography and work with art department staff on charts and tables.
· Use AP Style with ENR-appropriate customizations, and proofread pages, including headlines, captions, folio and masthead.
· Provide direction to Online Support Coordinator for posting economics content and other stories. Supply tagging and key phrases for story postings; re‐write print headlines for website SEO. Supply multi-media content.
· Post new content items to website frequently via ePublishing, including news items, photos and blogs.
· Monitor website to evaluate content, respond to comments and review reader-engagement statistics.
· Evaluate website analytics to identify potential problems or growth opportunities.
· Work with the web team to upgrade the presentation of construction cost information on ENR.com and to make cost data searchable in additional ways.
· Work with business team to find new ways to monetize ENR’s cost data.
· Goal: Increase website traffic and variety and amount of online content.
· Verify monthly ENR cost indexes and material price data content as digital edition is published.
· Post economics updates on ENR’s social media platforms.
Multimedia and Events
· Contribute to editorial multi-media efforts such as video and podcasts.
· Propose, organize and moderate ENR webinars.
· Contribute to live event planning and production. Moderate panels at live events.
· Excellent communication, writing and editing skills for print and digital
· Minimum of a Bachelor's degree and/or five years of experience in journalism, business or economics writing, including online journalism using a content management system
· Strong knowledge of economics, economic analysis, economic trends
· Ability to multi-task, and to work successfully under deadline pressure
· Familiarity with Excel and data analysis programs
· Work location in the New York City metro area, candidate must be able to commute to ENR offices in the Empire State Building
· Knowledge of, or background in construction, labor markets, materials or commodities is desirable
· Familiarity with TMI (IBM Cognose) InCopy, and online content publishing systems is a plus
How to Apply / Contact
Please send cover letter, resume, salary history and writing samples to Tom Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.