Coordinates editorial, art, and production processes and workflow to produce a quality publication in required time frames. Plans the content and layout of the publication, approves page layout, performs copyediting, and may also have writing responsibilities. Implements publication standards and policies and ensures that the publication is factual and grammatically correct. Coordinates the efforts of freelance and other employees, manages quality control, and may coordinate the article acquisition process. Usually attends industry events and act as a representative of the publication within the industry.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Regularly confers with editor-in-chief to formulate publication strategies, plan production, develop budgets, and discuss topics for self-generated articles and other projects.
· Organizes and oversees the editorial workflow, quality control, and shipping processes for assigned publications, supplements, and other special projects. Establishes and reinforces measurable goals, removes obstacles, evaluates and monitors progress, and makes adjustments as needed.
· Assumes responsibility for grammatical accuracy, clarity, completeness, appropriateness for intended audience, and conformity to established standard format guidelines of publication(s) and other projects. Acts as liaison between editorial, production, art, sales, and other support department staffs.
· Is cognizant of reader and advertiser needs and works in partnership with sales staff to meet both sets of needs without compromising editorial integrity.
· Assists with or manages article acquisition process by regularly corresponding with authors and others interested in contributing articles, clarifying publication policies, addressing issues of concern, and coordinating schedules as required.
· Copyedits manuscripts as needed; reviews prepared galleys of text and figures; writes editorials, articles, and miscellaneous copy as appropriate; participates in monthly quality checks prior to shipping; and oversees layout/design process.
· Develops, maintains, and utilizes knowledge of industry and trends, competitive environment, and editorial vision. Demonstrates through evolution of editorial products as necessary.
· Attends industry conferences, trade shows, and other events, representing the publication and the Company as required. Establishes and maintains positive professional relationships with authors, industry experts, and other internal and external contacts.
· Participates in reader and industry research, keeping abreast and ahead of anticipated market needs and changes. Works with editor in chief to adjust strategy of publication(s) accordingly.
· Assists editor in chief in establishing and maintaining relationships with Editorial Advisory Board members according to the requirements and needs of the publication.
· Trains, coaches, and provides feedback to editorial staff members and acts in a management capacity in the absence of the EIC.
· Performs additional duties as assigned.
· Four-year degree in Journalism, English, Communications or other relevant field or commensurate experience.
· Three to five years of relevant journalism/writing experience.
· Demonstrated organizational and project management skills, including the ability to work in a deadline oriented environment.
· Demonstrated competency in use of editing and proofreading skills to resolve stylistic, grammatical, and form of written material.
· Proficiency with desktop publishing word processing software and knowledgeable in effective use of graphic design.
· Excellent written and oral communications skills.
· Self-motivated and able to work independently and with minimal direction.
· Industry and trade show experience preferred.
· Web site content development and social media experience preferred.
OTHER KEY SUCCESS ATTRIBUTES:
· Demonstrates flexibility; can re-define role as needed and adapt to change.
· Continuously re-evaluates information, plans, and opportunities to improve a solution or process.
· Seeks continuous mastery of new technical and business knowledge and encourages the same in others.
· Interacts professionally and appropriately within a variety of cultures and situations while attending trade shows, conferences, and performing other company-related assignments.
· Evaluates ambiguous situations, makes decisions with available information, and adapts to multiple demands and shifting priorities.
· Builds consensus, facilitates win-win business outcomes, is consistent between what is said and what is done, and gains and builds commitment to new ideas and courses of action.
· Demonstrates the ability to identify and solve problems quickly, decisively, and independently.
· Shares information, cooperates with others, and is comfortable participating as a part of a team.