Money-Media, a business division of the Financial Times, is looking for a managing editor to lead a new publication covering the life insurance and annuity markets.
Life Annuity Specialist is a thrice-weekly publication that provides insurance companies with the news and intelligence they need to grow their businesses. It has received tremendous feedback and support from the industry in its beta phase and is off to a very strong start.
This is a terrific opportunity to lead a new publication and make your mark. Money-Media, with the backing of the Financial Times, has ambitious goals for this product and this market. You will have the benefits of working on a start-up publication within a stable and successful company that has proven it knows how to create profitable subscription-based publications within financial services.
The managing editor is the editorial driver of Life Annuity Specialist, overseeing all content development, including original news articles, trend reports, surveys and potentially video and webcasts. The managing editor is responsible for pushing through product improvements based on planned upgrades and ongoing market feedback. We expect the managing editor to be engaged with the business side of the publication and an enthusiastic source of ideas and suggestions for growing the title’s reach and profitability.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with a financial industry editorial background. If you have a good understanding of the insurance market and have pre-existing relationships in that space, so much the better.
The managing editor will oversee an associate editor, plus freelancers, and will report into Money-Media’s Group Managing Editor.
· Oversee all editorial development and processes for story generation, edit stories, write stories
· Report and write 2 articles per week and create video content based on interviews
· Maintain the overall quality and timeliness of the content and meet the product’s editorial milestones for success
· Establish and maintain close relationships with insurance executives and their companies
· Travel to industry events and meet with prospects to stay on top of the latest industry trends and to solicit ongoing market feedback about the product
· Coordinate editorial with advertising and marketing activities
· Work with other departments to incorporate video, graphics, webcasts into our editorial coverage
· Hire and manage staff
· On occasion, moderate webcasts or panels at events run by Money-Media or the Financial Times’ events group. Share knowledge and expertise where necessary with events group. Represent Life Annuity Specialist’s editorial team internally and externally
The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to succeed and a proven track record of producing high-quality content. We seek a person with strong intelligence, high energy, creativity, persistence, and resilience. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the flexibility and ownership necessary to manage a start-up product. Understanding the characteristics and values of our markets are very important. An ability to listen to the marketplace is critical. You will need to hire and motivate your team and keep them focused on the goals of the publication.
At least seven years of business reporting and editing experience, including experience working on a daily or wire publication.
Experience managing a staff of reporters and helping them improve and develop.
Demonstrated ability to write or produce content for a specific niche audience. Experience working a beat and knowing how to generate scoops, enterprise story ideas and other content that distinguishes a publication.
Track record of continuous improvement and initiative and a creative approach to your work.
Ability to recognize and respond to readers’ needs.
Knowledge of the financial advisor market specifically or financial services generally a definite plus.
A high personal standard of excellence and pride in the work you do.
Curiosity and a desire to learn.