||Hotel News Now
|Type of Position:
Description & Details
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this job is to create graphic design solutions for Hotel News Now (HNN), a fast-paced daily online news publication that covers the global hotel industry as a division of STR Inc. Primary responsibility is creating designs and graphic elements that support the publication’s content while adhering to its design standards. These design projects include photo editing, illustrations, infographics, working with stock photos, some print layout and production, some video production and editing, and other tasks as required. Working with a daily online news publication requires extreme flexibly and the ability to switch between projects at the spur of the moment while adhering to tight deadline schedules.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Design within Hotel News Now standards.
- Working in a PC-based system, this position will be a primary designer and producer of digital content, including photos, infographics and other design-related elements.
- Edit and/or create daily feature art to complement news stories, features, data and research in a visually compelling way.
- Produce visually compelling video graphics and have some ability to edit video footage.
- Have some experience with print news design, layout and production, to manage those processes for print projects generated by Hotel News Now on a monthly or semi-monthly basis.
- Ensure all HNN graphic design and branding standards are met daily.
- Have the ability to create new and exciting visuals to tell data stories, educate target audience and market HNN and its ancillary products as needed.
- Understand the concept of data visualization to accurately reflect data in design elements.
- Assist with minor web development, particularly as it relates to design and site layout.
- Be able to work within a completely transparent environment and demonstrate ongoing progress to HNN editors throughout design projects.
The designer’s secondary responsibilities will include a variety of projects, including:
- Minor website development;
- Printed marketing materials, including annual media kits; and
- Design and produce advertisements to promote HNN in industry publications, association newsletters and conferences.
- Minimal travel is required.
- Facilitate design discussions with department leads throughout HNN to ensure goals for materials are met daily and design concepts are developed and delivered.
- Demonstrate excellent multitasking abilities and superb verbal and written communication skills.
- This role will require communication with colleagues from other STR offices.
- This role will require the use of a project-management system for inter-department communication.
- Ensure design files are organized and saved in proper folders.
- This role requires someone with excellent creative and organizational skills who is able to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously, including many with tight deadlines.
- Understand the editorial content creation process and the importance of collaboration with an editorial team.
1.5 Commit to being an active member of the team and on-going personal and professional development
- Keep up to date with design trends in the industry.
- Attend training and actively seek to continually enhance understanding of HNN processes and procedures.
- Adhere to all HNN processes and policies and maintain customer confidentiality.
- Understand and adhere to STR's mission, vision and values as well as HNN's mission statement.
- Familiarity with and some experience in a news publication environment with daily deadlines, especially in a digital environment
- Demonstrate skills with current Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects, Adobe Premier)
- Proficient with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)
- Minor website design and CMS experience (understanding HTML and website framework)
- Basic knowledge of print production process
- Experience in designing for social media platforms
- Consistently focused on delivering an excellent internal and external customer service experience
- Good written and verbal communications skills required. Showing tenacity and the ability to interact effectively with people at all levels in an organization, including senior executives, is essential.
- Work effectively as part of a team with a genuine desire to assist colleagues to produce the most accurate, succinct and visually attractive projects possible.
- All candidates must demonstrate an understanding of what it means to work for an international organization. A keen desire to learn about regional variations and how that impacts design and marketing is essential.
- Possess the ability to give and receive feedback.
- Tenacious and positive attitude. Willingness to learn and be proactive. Respond positively to change in workload or schedule.
- Ability to work within a team and independently.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
Attention to Details
Qualifications and Experience
- High attention to detail and quality.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of professions experience preferred. However, recent graduates with strong skills and job-related work experience may be considered.
This position is based in Lakewood, Ohio.
How to Apply / Contact
Click here to learn more about the position and to apply.
Or paste the following URL into your browser: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=3b1425a0-bb6a-4301-b532-c00eaf8314da&jobId=243577&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001